Update Your SYNC® System with a Flash Drive
Flash drive update summary
A flash drive with a capacity of 8 GB or more is recommended.
Your VIN is needed to obtain the update for your vehicle.
The vehicle can still be driven during the install, but the SYNC system may occasionally reboot for 60-90 seconds.
The update process will take about 30-35 minutes to complete.
Open detailed instructions: Mac Windows
You will need:
- A flash drive with a capacity of at least 8 GB.
- Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Time. The update process will take 30-35 minutes, including occasional 60-90 second reboots to complete the installation.
- To remember: You can operate and drive your vehicle during the install, so there should be no impact on your schedule.
Step One: Prepare for Update
- Make sure your flash drive is formatted to a file system called exFAT for SYNC 3 (other SYNC versions need FAT32 format). Since almost all new flash drives are formatted to a system called FAT32, you will have to change the format yourself. It’s quite simple:
Reformatting a Flash Drive Windows Users Mac Users
- On a PC, connect your flash drive.
- Click Start > File Explorer > This PC.
- Right click your flash drive and then select Format.
- In the File System list box, choose exFAT, type in a Volume Label of your choice, and then click Start.
- Click OK in the format warning and wait until the process is complete.
- Insert your flash drive into your computer’s flash drive port.
- Go to Applications and Utilities > Disk Utility.
- Select your flash drive from the list on the left.
- Click on the Erase tab.
- Name the flash drive.
- Select the format as exFAT.
- Click the Erase button to format the Flash Drive to exFAT.
- Download the software to your computer and save it to an easy-to-find folder or onto your desktop.
- Extract/unzip the downloaded file to your flash drive. Learn how.
- Look at the file listings on your flash drive. Depending on your version of SYNC, you should have different files listed.
For MyFord Touch/SYNC 2 and SYNC 3 equipped vehicles, you should see:
- SyncMyRide folder
- autoinstall.lst file
- DONTINDX.MSA file
For early versions of SYNC, you should see:
- SyncMyRide folder
- a file ending in .lst (the filename may vary)
Below are images of the file structure that will appear for a SYNC 2/SYNC 3 vehicle.
Step Two: Time to Install
This is the easy part. In just three simple steps you’ll have your SYNC update installed.
- Your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process. Make sure your vehicle is in a well-ventilated area as your vehicle must be running until the update is complete. Once the update process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.
- Remove any other flash drive devices from your vehicle and insert the flash drive with your updated SYNC files into the flash drive / USB port. (Where do I find my USB Port?) The update will begin. It should take about 25-30 minutes.
- When the update is installed, an Installation Complete pop-up will appear on your vehicle’s onboard screen.
Step Three: Confirm Update
Please log your activity in our system to keep your vehicle's records current.
- Re-connect the flash drive used to udpate your SYNC system to your computer.
- Click "Browse for log file" below. Loading complete.
- Browse the Flash Drive and select the XML log in the SyncMyRide folder.
- Update complete.